Monday, February 9, 2015

Why I Left Oracle Virtual Machine Manager for Openstack

So I have to now migrate all my things into an openstack configuration anyway, why not go with openstack proper instead of oracles outdated and wrapped awkwardly around OVMM, version of openstack? I could see no reason to not drop the ocfs2 dependant OVMM and its management style completely for a more robust platform. But for thoughs who need support. Oracle has an openstack version. I would explore this option before any OVS/OVMM or VCA.

Oracle VCA

I today got to explore this as an option and it is not entirely off the table. I just want the OVS/OVMM Architecture to disappear and openstack integration to naturally occur. 

Note to Oracle - You have the hardware (badass hardware, I was a longtime sunos\solaris admin), you have the appliance configuration, nicely done using the infiniband btw. You even have openstack!!

Instead of skinning the old OVMM / OVS and including "SOME" cloud components, use all of the features of openstack that even you support.


You have the capability already, stand up a control node with puppet and packstack (with custom configs) the environment and present the user with an infiniband integrated, local cinder and swift ring with appliance node expansion capabilities. Why would that not be ideal? I know it is possible today I have built this arch without the appliance, with it the configs should be easier as the hw configuration for base deployment is pretty static and openstack can organically grow.....

No comments:

Post a Comment